Figure 1: Erskine 1781 Map detail showing Baptist Meeting House in Fredericksburgh Village (later Patterson, NY)

William S Pelletreau in his History of Putnam County, New York published in 1886 wrote: 'On Erskine's military map [see Figure 1], made about 1780, the Baptist meeting house is laid down near Fredericks­burg. This church, the date of whose building is unknown, stood on the north side of the road from Patterson to Carmel, about half a mile west of where the Mill Brook crosses it and about a mile and a half north of the present church at Towner's Four Corners.' (p662) An ancient journal now in the possession of the Northeast Baptist Church records the following information: '. . . book of records of the Church [o]f Christ on Phillips Pattant [Th]is Church was Constituted in November about ye . . . [missing but a note added in a different hand reads--'Nov. 6, Old Style, would now be Nov. 16 or 17'] . . .[A?]D 1751 and our noumber nine and our Elder [a]nd our Decken was ordained about this time' (Pages are unnumbered and many detached from the binding, but this one is first contextually.)

Pelletreau continues, 'Opposite the site of this old church, on the south side of the road, is an ancient burying ground, the surface of which is thickly studded with rough stones which mark graves, the names of whose occupants have long since passed into oblivion. This is beyond doubt the oldest burying ground in the town. It is on land now owned by Mr. Isaac P. Rogers, and it would be a credit to the village to have this spot enclosed with a suitable fence and protected from desecration.' (p662) [INSERT DETAIL OF 1854 MAP HERE]
In the collections of the Historical Society is a Packet Ledger & Memorandum, T W Akin, Patterson, Putnam Co, NYork, which has many of the original pages cut out so it may have been reused; it contains the earliest list of inscribed gravestones for this old burying ground (see Figure 4 and Table I).